This article will show you how to securely delete Outlook and Outlook Express items (mail, contacts, calendar entries) using XL Delete.
First, delete any item that you want to get rid of then you need to purge your Outlook data file by following these steps:
- Right click on your "Deleted Items" folder and choose "Empty Deleted Items Folder" from the menu.
- From the File menu, click on the "Data File Management" menu item.
- Select the data file that contained the deleted items.
- Click on the settings button and choose the "Compact Now" option from the dialog window.
- Close Outlook.
FOR OUTLOOK EXPRESS:
- From the Edit menu, click on the "Empty Deleted Items Folder" menu item.
- From the File menu, navigate to the "Folder" item and click on the "Compact All Folders" menu item.
- Close Outlook Express.
Your data file will now be purged of all the deleted items.
The deleted items remain on your hard drive and must be cleaned by running the Free Space Wipe option in XL Delete. Note that cleaning the free space on your drive may take a long time depending on the wipe method you pick and the available free space on the drive.
Your deleted Outlook and Outlook Express items will be permanently deleted after completing all the steps above.